Wind farm engineer working on top of a wind farm

Apple commits to 100% carbon neutrality by 2030

Apple has announced it is to make massive changes to its supply chain and the products it makes, in order to become 100 per cent carbon neutral by 2030.

The announcement, which came via the company’s website, confirmed the Cupertino, California-based company wants to bring the carbon footprint of its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle to net zero a full 20 years earlier than IPCC targets, meaning every device Apple sells will have net zero climate impact.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, CEO, Apple. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

Apple wants to lead its competitors in this regard, by providing a roadmap for other companies.

The announcement came as the company released its 2020 Environmental Progress Report.

In it, Apple details its plans to reduce emissions by 75 per cent by 2030 while innovating carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 per cent of its footprint.

“We’re proud of our environmental journey and the ambitious roadmap we have set for the future,” said Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives. “Systemic racism and climate change are not separate issues, and they will not abide separate solutions. We have a generational opportunity to help build a greener and more just economy, one where we develop whole new industries in the pursuit of giving the next generation a planet worth calling home.”

The company claims it has decreased its carbon footprint by 4.3 million metric tons in 2019 through clever design and using recycled components across its product line. It also says that, over the past 11 years, it has reduced the average energy needed for product use by 73 per cent.

Since 2014, all of Apple’s data centres have been powered by 100 percent renewable energy.

With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.

Tim Cook, CEO, Apple

Apple will remain at 100 per cent renewable energy for its operations and is focusing on moving its entire supply chain to clean power. More than 70 of its suppliers are already committed to using 100 per cent renewable energy for Apple production. Once completed this should mean that more than 14.3 million metric tons of CO2e is avoided annually.

The tech company is already carbon neutral for global corporate emissions worldwide.

Share With:
Rate This Article

Future

Join the community to become

#FuturePositive 

Keep up to date with our latest news, stories and interviews.


Subscribe to our newsletter today 

Volta Logo

change

Positive

minds

Future

Join the community to become

#FuturePositive 

Keep up to date with our latest news, stories and interviews.


Subscribe to our newsletter today 

Volta Logo

change

Positive

minds